The pound is the official currency of Guernsey since 1921 when it replaced the French livre, and the country became part of the monetary union with the United Kingdom. The Guernsey pound is not a separate currency but a local issue of sterling-denominated notes and coins. The first pound notes were issued in 1924 with a denomination of 10 shillings. During the German occupation in 1941, notes were introduced in denominations of 6 pence, 1 shilling, 3 pence, 2 shillings, 6 pence and 5 shillings. After the liberation in 1945, the £5 notes were introduced, followed by £10 in 1975, £20 in 1980 and £50 in 1994. The official currency symbol: £/p (pre-decimal).
The 50 Jersey pounds note front design features the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II (Queen of the United Kingdom and 15 other commonwealth realms), on a background with stylized royal patterns, the National Coat of Arms (Seal of Guernsey) within a coin surrounded by laurel branches, an illustration of the Royal Court House located in St James, a branch of Guernsey lilies and a sketch of a brig. The reverse of the note presents an illustration of Point de la Moye (upper left), which is a viewpoint located nearby to Les Houards, the La Gran ‘mère (lower left), which is a statue menhir that is located near the parish church of St Martin, a Letter of Marque (center) which was a government license in the Age of Navigation, which authorized an individual to attack and capture vessels of a nation at war with the issuer and the St. Andrew’s Church. The design is completed with a sketch of a brig and some guernsey flowers. This note is part of the 1996 series, and its color is dark brown, dark green, blue, and black on a multicolor underprint.
Text: THE STATES OF GUERNSEY, PROMISE TO PAY THE BEARER ON DEMAND THE SUM OF FIFTY POUNDS, BY AUTHORITY OF THE STATES, STATES TREASURER, S ‘BALLIVIE INSVLE DEGERNERE VE, The Royal Court House, Point de la Moye, Letter of Marque, La Gran ‘mère, St. Andrew’s Church, 50£.