The Djibouti franc has been the official currency in Djibouti since 1908. In 1884, when the country was still part of French Somaliland (formerly Djibouti), the French franc was a bargaining chip alongside the Indian rupee and the Thaler Maria Theresa. However, since 1908, the franc circulating in Djibouti fixed its value to the French franc.
Between 1910 and 1946, the Chamber of Commerce, which was the issue institution, announced banknotes in denominations of 5, 10, 50 centimes and 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 500 and 1000 francs. Then, in 1952, the Public Treasury acquired the coins and note production, suspended the issuance of 5, 10, and 20 franc notes, and announced 5,000 franc notes. French Somaliland changed its name to the “French Territory of the Afars and Issas” in 1967, and the 50 and 100 franc notes were replaced by coins in 1970. In 1977, when Djibouti achieved independence, banknote issuance was delegated to the National Bank, which introduced 10,000 franc notes in 1984 and changed the 500 franc note to currency in 1989.
The 2000 Djiboutian francs note front design illustrates a young Djibouti in a migratory caravan on the African savannah. The reverse note side represents the Djibouti Presidential Palace and the Monument of Martyrs (who died for the freedom of the Djiboutian) in the People’s Palace Square. Both sides of the note present text in Arabic, French, Arabic numerals, and Western Arabic numerals. This note is part of the 2008 series and its color dark blue, blue, black, yellow and multicolor underprint.
Text: Banque Centrale de Djibouti, Seront Punis De Vingt Ans de Reclusion Criminelle Et De 50000000 FDJ D’ Amende Les Contrefacteurs Des Billets de Banque, Le Gouverneur, Deux Mille Francs, 2000.